The Deep Green Resistance Book
The DGR organization is largely based on the book Deep Green Resistance, which was written by Lierre Keith, Aric McBay, and Derrick Jensen and released in spring 2011.
Deep Green Resistance starts where the environmental movement leaves off: industrial civilization is incompatible with life. Technology can't fix it, and shopping—no matter how green—won't stop it. To save this planet, we need a serious resistance movement that can bring down the industrial economy. Deep Green Resistance evaluates strategic options for resistance, from nonviolence to guerrilla warfare, and the conditions required for those options to be successful. It provides an exploration of organizational structures, recruitment, security, and target selection for both aboveground and underground action*. Deep Green Resistance also discusses a culture of resistance and the crucial support role that it can play.
Deep Green Resistance is a plan of action for anyone determined to fight for this planet—and win.
We encourage you to buy the book directly through this website, and not from Walmart, Amazon, etc. All proceeds from books purchased through the DGR website go directly to support the DGR Aboveground organization.
Price $23 — includes free shipping! (only within the U.S.)
Temporarily out of stock
The book will ship in one to two weeks. Let us know if you'd like the book signed by Derrick Jensen and/or Lierre Keith.
Search the Book
Use the search box at the upper right of every page on this site to search both the website and the text of the book.
Read Beyond Protest: Saving our Planet with ‘Deep Green Resistance’ by Rady Ananda.
About the Authors
A writer, activist, and small-scale organic farmer living in Ontario, Canada. His first book was Peak Oil Survival: Preparation for Life After Grid crash. His most recent book is What We Leave Behind, co-written with Derrick Jensen.
A writer, small-scale farmer, and radical feminist activist, Lierre Keith is the author of two novels, as well as The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability. She's been arrested six times. She lives in Humboldt County, California.
Hailed as the philosopher poet of the environmental movement, Derrick Jensen is author of fifteen books, including Endgame Volumes 1 and 2, What We Leave Behind, and A Language Older Than Words.
- Preface by Derrick Jensen
- Questions & Answers, at the end of each chapter
Part I: Resistance
- The Problem by Lierre Keith
- Civilization and Other Hazards by Aric McBay
- Liberals and Radicals by Lierre Keith
- Culture of Resistance by Lierre Keith
- Other Plans by Lierre Keith
- A Taxonomy of Action by Aric McBay
Part II: Organization
- The Psychology of Resistance by Aric McBay
- Organizational Structure by Aric McBay
- Decision Making by Aric McBay
- Recruitment by Aric McBay
- Security by Aric McBay
Part III: Strategy and Tactics
- Introduction to Strategy by Aric McBay
- Tactics and Targets by Aric McBay
- Decisive Ecological Warfare by Aric McBay
Part IV: The Future
- Our Best Hope by Lierre Keith
- Epilogue: Getting Started by Aric McBay
- Further Readings